Dean Hasl Gets Lifetime Achievement Award
February 15, 2011
In a word, this year’s Thomas Jefferson School of Law Barristers Ball 2011 was elegant.
From the Westgate Hotel’s opulence to the attendees who were dressed to the nines to fit the “Great Gatsby” theme.
The biggest surprise of the evening was the bestowing of a Lifetime Achievement Award on Dean Rudy Hasl, presented by three distinguished TJSL alumni – District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis ’76, County Public Defender Henry Coker ‘85 and Board of Trustees Member Randy Grossman ‘94.
“Almost immediately upon his hiring, Dean Hasl focused his attention on one of the biggest issues facing our law school — we had outgrown the buildings on San Diego Avenue in Old Town,” said Trustee Grossman. “A few weeks ago we moved into our new, eight-story building on Island Avenue downtown, just a few blocks away. It is one of the most technologically advanced, beautiful law schools in the country and will serve our students for many years to come.
“Dean Hasl has so many professional accomplishments, they would fill a book. It is an honor for me to be associated in the presentation of this special award tonight.”
Dean Hasl was visibly moved as he accepted the award.
“I am very honored to be recognized by the students for my work on behalf of legal education and the Thomas Jefferson School of Law,” the dean said. “The students are the reason that we as administrators and faculty do what we do. The great satisfaction is knowing that we have made a difference in the lives of our students.”
Here’s a full list of the evening’s awardees:
- The 2011 A. Thomas Golden Alumnus of the Year Award Jon H. Epsten, Class of 1982
- 1L Professor of the Year: A. Thomas Golden
- 2L Professor of the Year: Leah Christensen
- 3L Professor of the Year: Kaimipono Wenger
- Adjunct Professor of the Year: Jeff Joseph
- Lewis & Clark Award: Communications Department
- Lewis & Clark Award: Professor Susan Tiefenbrun
- Staff Member of the Year: Lisa Ferreira
- Staff Member of the Year: Beth Kransberger
- Student Organization President of the Year (Student Vote): Ben Aguilar, International Law Society
- Student Organization President of the Year (Presidents Vote): Elizabeth Knowles, PILF
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Dean Rudy Hasl
- Charles T. Bumer Civil Liberarian Award: Laura Shaver, 3L
Congratulations to our 2011 Barristers Ball Award Recipients!