PILF Hosts Another Successful Career Fair
November 8, 2013
The Career Fair held at TJSL coordinated by the Public Interest Law Foundation (PILF) on Thursday, November 7 gave students the opportunity to meet with organizations that serve the public sector.
“I had the opportunity to speak with a variety of organizations including Legal Aid, the Family Law Facilitator’s Office and the Innocence Project,” said Tara Almazan Mallis (3L). “The first PILF career fair I attended helped me get my first internship and now I’m hoping it will help me secure my last! PILF brings such a great selection of organizations to our school giving students the opportunity to interact with people in practice and possibly parlay that into an even bigger learning opportunity.”
The organizations conducted interviews with current students who are looking for jobs and who are interested in intern and externships. “I love the fact that TJSL has a public interest – focused career fair,” said staff attorney with the Legal Aid Society of San Diego’s Pro Bono Program Lorena Slomanson ’03. “This provides students with a more comprehensive understanding of the public interest opportunities available to them in San Diego. I especially love going back to the school each year for this event, and seeing the interest grow bigger every year. I imagine this interest has grown, in part, due to TJSL’s various thriving clinical programs, where students can begin to know, or expand their knowledge of public interest law.”
The Career Fair gave students the opportunity to get informed about the many types of public interest law paths available.
“After talking to the students and employers, the Career Fair was a success!” said Career Fair organizer PILF President Ashley Salas (2L). “Students learned about programs and opportunities they had no idea existed. Some students were offered internship positions on the spot. The employers were very impressed by the students who came. One employer told me he was glad he could come recruit students in person, noting that his past TJSL interns were all excellent law clerks. Thank you to all the students who attended the fair, and the co-sponsoring student organizations, who helped to make this career fair a huge success! Thank you also to Career Services, Events, and Facilities for all your help and support.”
Students met with representatives with:
- Affordable Housing Advocates
- California Innocence Project
- California Rural Legal Assistance, Inc.
- Casa Cornelia
- Center for Community Solutions
- County of San Diego Superior Court,
- Office of the Family Law Facilitator
- Crawford Legal Institute and Mentorship Bond (CLIMB)
- Elder Law & Advocacy – Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program
- Elder Law & Advocacy – Senior Legal Services
- Employee Rights Center
- Fair Housing Council of San Diego
- Federal Defenders of San Diego, Inc.
- Girls Think Tank
- Legal Aid Society of San Diego
- National Family Justice Center Alliance
- Ochoa Legal Group
- San Diego Volunteer Lawyers Program
- SAY San Diego Teen Court
- Utility Consumers’ Action Network
- Unitarian Universal Refugee and Immigration Services and Education, Inc. (UURISE)
- U.S. Department of Justice, United States Attorney’s Office
- U.S. Marine Corps JAG
- Voices for Children