VITA Tax Clinic is Open for 17th Season of Free Tax Return Services
March 14, 2014
From now until April 12, except for Tuesday, March 18 and Thursday, March 20 the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program operated by Thomas Jefferson School of Law’s Tax Law Society, a student organization, will provide free income tax return preparation for students, low-income families, senior citizens and others who can’t afford professional tax services or are unable to complete their own tax forms.
Since 1998, TJSL students have annually offered this service to the San Diego community. The clinic’s student volunteers receive training to become IRS-certified, operate the TaxWise software, interview clients effectively and assemble a proper tax return.
The TJSL tax clinic is open to walk-in clients on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3-7 p.m. The Tax Clinic will be closed onTuesday, March 18 and Thursday, March 20.
The Tax Law Society is advised by TJSL Professor Richard Winchester, a former attorney in the national tax office of PricewaterhouseCoopers, who is a national authority on employment tax policy and the taxation of the closely held business.
The tax clinic is located in the Law Clinic office at the Thomas Jefferson School of Law in the East Village area of downtown San Diego.
Items you need to bring to the TJSL Tax Clinic to have your tax returns prepared are:
- Proof of identification
- Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s Federal and State returns if available
- Bank Routing Numbers and Account Numbers for Direct Deposit
- Total paid for day care provider and the day care provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number)
- To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
For more about the IRS VITA program, visit http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Free-Tax-Return-Preparation-for-You-by-Volunteers.