From February 21 to April 13, the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program operated by Thomas Jefferson School of Law’s Tax Law Society will provide free income tax return preparation for students, low-income families, senior citizens and others who can't afford professional tax services or are unable to complete their own tax forms.
Since 1998, TJSL students have annually offered this service to the San Diego community. The clinic’s student volunteers receive training to become IRS-certified, operate the TaxWise software, interview clients effectively and assemble a proper tax return. This year, approximately 15 students, who are IRS-certified will participate.
The TJSL tax clinic is open to appointment only clients on Mondays from 5 – 9 p.m. and Saturdays from 1 – 5 p.m. The clinic will be closed on Monday, March 2, Saturday, March 7, Monday, March 9 and Saturday, March 14. Appointments can be made by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Tax Law Society is advised by TJSL Professor Richard Winchester, a former attorney in the national tax office of PricewaterhouseCoopers, who is a national authority on employment tax policy and the taxation of the closely held business.
The tax clinic is located in the Law Clinic office at the Thomas Jefferson School of Law in the East Village area of downtown San Diego. The entrance to the clinic is at 495 Eleventh Avenue. The Park & Market Trolley station is adjacent to the law school and there are commercial parking lots available nearby as well as limited on-street parking.
Items you need to bring to the TJSL Tax Clinic to have your tax returns prepared are:
- Proof of identification
- Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year's Federal and State returns, if available
- Bank Routing Numbers and Account Numbers for Direct Deposit
- Total paid for day care provider and the day care provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security Number or the provider's business Employer Identification Number)
- To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
- If you rented your home, the name and address of your landlord or property management company and their phone number