The 2019-20 NSLNC is Coming March 27-29, 2020
This year, the competition will return to the traditional 36-team format, and schools will be permitted to register up to two (2) teams on the first day of registration.
We anticipate opening registration on October 1.
The annual National Sports Law Negotiation Competition (NSLNC) is hosted and organized by the Center for Sports Law & Policy (CSLP) at Thomas Jefferson School of Law in San Diego, California. Now in its tenth year, the NSLNC is widely regarded as one of the premiere law student negotiation competitions in the country.
The NSLNC was created by sports and academic professionals to give law students a realistic experience negotiating matters vital to the modern sports law industry. Our mission is to provide the legal profession with able legal minds ready to contribute to advising, transactional, and litigation practices that handle matters relating to sports.
The fact patterns for the NSLNC are modeled on current issues being debated, analyzed, and negotiated by professionals in the sports industry. Student competitors negotiate these fictional - but highly realistic - disputes before a panel of judges consisting of practicing lawyers, judges, professors, and mediators. Each student participating in the competition must grapple with at least two areas of sports law. Past competitions have included the following problems relating to:
* contract negotiation;
* trading players between franchises;
* endorsement contracts;
* athlete family and personal issues;
* intellectual property rights;
* stadium construction deals;
* college football scheduling;
* sports gambling;
* and many more.
It is our hope that you enjoy the competition weekend, which includes:
* a catered meet & greet on Friday evening;
* catered continental breakfast, lunch, and snacks all day on Saturday during the competition;
* the opportunity to interact with competition judges who cross a wide spectrum of legal practice as well as like-minded students from every corner of the United States;
* a catered breakfast for the four teams making the competition finals on Sunday morning;
* and the opportunity to explore San Diego, California, America's finest city. The law school is located in the heart of downtown San Diego just a short walk from the historic Gaslamp District and Petco Park, and a short cab ride from Balboa Park and numerous beaches and hiking trails.
2017 Fact Patterns:
See Past Articles About the NSLNC:
- Legal Sidelines: National Sports Law Negotiation Competition
- Successful Fifth Annual National Sports Law Negotiation
- Everything you wanted to know about the National Sports Law Negotiation Competition
- 2015 National Sports Law Negotiation Competition
- 2015 National Sports Law Negotiation Competition will run from September 25 through September 27
- Successful National Sports Law Negotiation Competition & Sports Law Conference
- Upcoming National Sports Law Negotiation Competition & Sports Law Conference
- Excitement Builds for TJSL Sports Law Negotiation Competition
- Sports Law Negotiation Competition & Symposium a Major League Success
- Inaugural NSLNC Scores Big Win with Participants
- National Sports Law Negotiation Competition & Symposium (NSLNC) 2011
“Your team did an awesome job...just wanted to say thank you!”
Joshua Igeleke, Jr.
J.D./MBA Candidate, May 2014
William S. Boyd School of Law
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
“It was a great weekend and I really enjoyed myself and appreciate the hospitality. Looking forward to coming back next year.”
Juris Doctorate Candidate 2015
Florida A & M University College of Law
“I was a judge for the competition on Saturday and the competition was highly organized and well-run.”
Professor of Law
Thomas Jefferson School of Law